Can Cats Eat Tuna?

by catfood

Tuna can be a healthy treat for cats, but only in moderator

Can- Cats -Eat- Tuna-1

Benefits of Tuna for Cats ? Can Cats Eat Tuna?

Cats love fish, and the more fish the better, it goes without saying. Many people used to treat their cats to canned tuna before there was commercial cat food. A traditional cat food is tuna. Now that we are aware of their specific dietary needs, can I give my cat tuna? Then, how much and what kind of tuna are OK for cats to eat?

When eaten in moderation, tuna can be beneficial for the majority of cats. In actuality, many commercial cat foods contain tuna as one ingredient. Tuna has a lot of both protein and carbohydrates. Furthermore, tuna includes the necessary omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, which promote the general health of the skin and coat and may also minimize the symptoms of inflammatory illnesses such allergies, heart disease, some cancers, and kidney disease.

Can- Cats -Eat- Tuna-2

Potential Health Risks

Your cat won’t get hurt if you feed it a small bit of tuna as a treat or as an addition to its complete and balanced cat food, but too much tuna can be harmful. First off, tuna does not provide the precise nutritional balance that cats need for good health. Cats need a very specific kind of nutrition.

On the label of high-quality commercial cat diets, it is stated that the food is “complete and balanced,” as determined by the American Association of Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) (AAFCO). When a cat food product is labeled as “complete and balanced,” it means that it has all the essential nutrients the cat requires, in the right amounts, for that life stage. This could be for adult maintenance for adult cats, growth and reproduction for kittens, and pregnancy and lactation for females, or for all life stages (for all cats, whether kittens or adults).

Due to the unequal distribution of vitamin E in tuna, some pregnant cats on high-tuna diets have experienced bleeding irregularities and problems with fat inflammation. In addition, tuna has a high mercury content, so eating too much of it could potentially damage your cat. Mercury toxicity in cats causes incoordination, loss of balance, and difficulties walking, however this ailment is uncommon.

Last but not least, cats occasionally develop unhealthy tuna obsessions. Your cat’s healthy regular meal might not even come close to matching how delicious tuna is. After receiving tuna on a regular basis, some cats will start to reject their regular cat food, holding out in the hope that you would give in and give them more tuna. Things could quickly turn into uncomfortable finicky feeding and eating problems.

Can- Cats -Eat -Tuna-4

Any type of tuna is edible to cats

If you choose to occasionally give your cat a tuna treat, you can use either canned tuna or fresh tuna. You can get rid of any bacteria and parasites in the tuna you plan to feed your cat by cooking it, but cooking also kills the thiaminase enzyme. Chunk-light tuna is really a better choice for your cat than albacore, which has a higher mercury concentration. Observe any extra sources of tuna that your cat may be ingesting. For instance, it might be excessive to add additional tuna to a canned tuna dish.

The best choice is fresh cooked tuna. Even though people commonly eat raw fish, giving it to your cat could be harmful. The risks associated with eating raw fish are the same for you and your cat. Raw fish could include bacteria and parasites. Fish that hasn’t been cooked has the thiaminase enzyme as well. The capacity of this enzyme to breakdown the essential B vitamin thiamine in cats may lead to the exceedingly severe sickness known as thiamine deficiency. Instead of canned tuna that is seasoned with extra salt or oil, choose for tuna that is flavored with water.

How to Safely Feed Tuna to Your Cat

Can- Cats -Eat- Tuna-3

Before adding any new ingredients to your cat’s food, always consult your veterinarian. Follow the same precautions you would for giving your cat any other treat if you wish to feed it tuna and your veterinarian gives the go. Your cat should consume fewer than 10% of its daily calories from supplementary treats like tuna. The remaining 90% of your cat’s diet should consist of a premium, all-inclusive, and balanced cat food.

To minimize any issues that could arise from eating too much tuna, such as the development of finicky eating habits, avoid offering your cat tuna every day and instead limit tuna to an occasional surprise.


NEXT TOPIC: Home-Prepared Food Recipes for Your Cat

You may also like

Leave a Comment